Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stuck Letters...



I found it at a garage sale
on Hayworth near Beverly Boulevard
from a woman so old and only half there. 
Or maybe she was halfway there. Closer than that, I bet.
Coral pink frosted lipstick smeared across her cheek.
A real peach.   
Hollywood original with class.

I wrote poems on that. Lots of poems, she said.
 Manifestos for Love.
That was the name of the book. 
You a writer?

I dream of it, I say.
I dream a lot.

He wanted me to sell it, she said.
He said they were a dime a dozen, 
and that dreamers don't make money. 
Bunch of dreamers, he said. The world's heavy with them.
You should be a lawyer or a realtor or something useful.

The most romantic thing you do is walk the dog,
 I told him.

He was right, but I left one morning anyway
with all my clothes still in the closet.
Carried my Underwood under my arm.
Never travel far without my dreams.

 I typed Good-Bye! a hundred times
 and taped the page to his hairy chest while he was still asleep.
 That was the most fun I had in years.

I may be old, she tells me. But I can still dream.
Many manifestos were born from this heart.

 I probably should have been a lawyer
 but this is more fun.

love

No comments:

Post a Comment